Your Express Entry invitation to apply is valid for 60 days only. You should start filling out the online form right away so that you can get all the information and documents you need before your invitation expires.
Follow these steps to fill out the online form to apply for permanent residence:
- sign in to your account
- click the link to apply for permanent residence under Express Entry
When filling out the form:
- all of your answers must be complete and true
- make sure all the mandatory fields are completed or you won’t be able to submit your application
- you can save your information on the form and go back as often as you need to
The system gives you a personalized document checklist once you’ve completed all of the fields in the online form. Get all the documents that are on your checklist.
Translation of documents
If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload:
- an English or French translation
- a certified photocopy of the original document
- an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator)
If a certified translator completed your translation:
- the document must be stamped with the translator’s certification or registration number
- you can indicate that you’re not providing an affidavit because a certified translator completed the translation (write a letter and scan it with your translated document)
If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, update your new passport information in your application. This will ensure it is valid when we process your application.
Once you have your documents
Make electronic copies using a scanner or camera. Make sure you use one of the formats we accept.
Once you have your documents ready, upload them in your document checklist.
Fees for Express Entry
Once you fill out all sections of the online form and upload your documents, the system will show you a list of fees you need to pay. This list includes the following:
- processing fee for you and your family members
- right of permanent residence fee
- biometrics fee
Pay your fees through your online account. You’ll need a debit or credit card to do this.
At a minimum, you must pay your processing fees when you submit your application. Avoid delays by paying all of your fees now (including your right of permanent residence fee).
For details on how much you can expect to pay, check the fees list.
If your application isn’t complete, we’ll tell you and refund your:
- processing fee
- right of permanent residence fee (if you’ve paid it)
We won’t refund the processing fee once we start processing your application.