About the process
The Self-employed Persons Program allows people to immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person.
If you’re interested in this program, you must:
- have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and
- be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada
To immigrate as a self-employed person, you must:
- have relevant experience
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the program’s selection criteria and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
- been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
- for athletics:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above
We assess you on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities
Medical, security checks and other requirements
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.