Federal Skilled Trades Worker

The Federal Skilled Trades Program

FSTP is one of the three federal immigration programs managed by the “express entry” system. Anyone who has trade experience and trade education certification can apply under this program. Scores are assigned for each criteria.

Eligibility or minimum requirements as mentioned below:
1. Education: minimum 12 years of education or trade certification.
2. Language: minimum 5 bands in IELTS/CELPIP.
3. Work experience: At least 2 years of full-time work experience in skilled trade within the last 5 years including job duties as per NOC.
4. Proof of financial means: Money required by you and your family to settle in Canada.
5. Valid job offers: A Canadian employers’ job offers for a full-time job in trade.

*NOTE: Qualified trade certification in Canada is REDSEAL and all provinces have separate processes to follow in order to get certified. If you think, you meet these eligibility requirements, get in touch with us:

FSTP is an economic immigration program that allows foreign nationals who are qualified in a skilled trades to become permanent residents in Canada.

This program is one of the three federal immigration programs managed by the Express Entry system. It uses the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank interested candidates against one another, only inviting the most competitive candidates to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

Like the Federal Skilled Worker Program, an applicant for this program must first make an expression of interest and complete an online Express Entry profile.

Are you eligible for Federal Skilled Trades Program ?

  • In order to qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, candidate must:
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply meet the required language levels for each language ability (writing, reading, listening and speaking).
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total of at least one year or have a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a province or territory.
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification.

Here's a list of eligible trades under the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

    Major groups:
  • 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades.
  • 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades.
  • 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production.
  • 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.
    Minor groups:
  • 632 – chefs and cooks
  • 633 – butchers and bakers
  • There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But in order to earn points for education under Express Entry, an applicant either need:
  • A certificate, diploma or academic credential from a Canadian educational institution; or
  • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) provided by a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary institution.
  • If candidates meet these requirements, they will be eligible to submit an Express Entry Profile for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
  • Take note that submitting an Express Entry profile does not guarantee a candidate to receive Canadian permanent residence. Only after submitting an Express Entry profile will a candidate be considered in future Express Entry draws for Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residence, depending on their CRS score.
  • Do you want to know more about Federal Skilled Trades Program ? Feel free to contact us !

Free Immigration Assessment

Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.