Temporary Resident Permit


Denied Entry to Canada ?

If you have a criminal record, certain medical conditions, or have violated immigration rules, these are just some of the reasons why you are denied or said to be inadmissible to Canada.

Foreign Nationals can be found to be inadmissible on the following grounds:

  • Criminal Inadmissibility
  • Medical Inadmissibility
  • Misrepresentation
  • Organized Crime (or ties to it)
  • Security Risk
  • Committed human or international rights violations
  • Depending on the reasons for your inadmissibility, you may still be able to enter to Canada! It is possible through the Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

    A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a document issued for individuals who have been previously denied entry or inadmissible to Canada, allowing them to enter the country with justifiable reasons. It is important to note that the Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is different from Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

    Are you eligible to Apply for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)?

    To obtain a TRP, applicants must prove that their reason for wanting to enter or remain in Canada is safe and beneficial to the country or its citizens. Some examples of good reasons for entering Canada are business conferences, networking events, meeting with Canadian clients or companies, economic relationships, or important family events such as wedding or funeral.

    Aside from having justifiable reasons, below is the list of individuals who are eligible for a TRP:

  • A person who is inadmissible and seeking to come to Canada
  • A person who is not eligible for restoration of status.
  • A person who have been convicted of a criminal offence.
  • A person who have had less than five years pass since the completion of the sentence (including jail time, community service hours, probation and fee payment).
  • A person who have had more than five years pass since the completion of the sentence, and you have not applied for, or have yet to received a decision on an application for criminal rehabilitation.
  • A person who is in Canada and is inadmissible, subject to a report or reportable for violation of the Act, or does not otherwise meet the requirements of the Act.

  • How to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) ?

    The application for Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is similar to a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). However, there are certain things to consider:

  • Submit application with all the necessary documents to a Canadian consulate outside Canada. Application must include:
  • A copy of all court documents describing all the charges, convictions, sentences, or any documents related to a person's inadmissibility.
  • A copy of the law a person was convicted under
  • A person who have been convicted of a criminal offence
  • Police clearance certificates
  • Letters of reference including a letter from the employer
  • A personal statement from the applicant
  • Clearly request for a TRP
  • Pay the processing fee of $200 (some applicants are exempt from the fee)

  • How long you can stay in Canada ?

    A TRP could be valid for one day and up to three years, depending on the reason of visit. This decision is made by the Canadian Immigration officer or border agent who processes the application. The officer considers several factors to make sure the reasons for entering Canada outweigh the person's inadmissibility.

    *Note that there is no guarantee that a person be issued a Temporary Resident Permit.

    Types of Temporary Resident Permit

    There are two types of Temporary Resident Permit (TRP): a single-entry TRP and a multiple-entry TRP.

    Single Entry TRP

    It allows visitor to enter Canada once, and it will expire once they leave the country. It may be granted for an event on a specific date, such as a wedding.

    Multiple Entry TRP

    It is granted for an allocated time span, and allows visitor to enter, leave, and re-enter as many times as required during the time of its validity. These TRPs expire after the allocated time span. Those that need to travel to Canada for work frequently and often at short notice, such as flight attendants or pilots, are more likely to receive a multiple-entry TRP. To know more about Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

    To know more details - Contact us.

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.