Post-Graduation Work Permit


The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students to remain in Canada as a worker and work full time for up to three years once they graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution, college, or university.

The Government of Canada provides the PGWP as part of its efforts to attract international students and retain them as skilled workers. It is a way for international students to gain valuable Canadian work experience, which is one of the vital steps on an international student’s path to permanent residence, and eventually citizenship, in Canada.

Are you eligible for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

In order to be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), an international student must meet these fundamental criteria:

  • Have completed your study program in an academic, vocational or professional training program, which leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Your course should be full time and should be for at least 8 months in Canada. Some exceptions may be made for leave from studies and final academic session. Note that the length of PGWP depends a lot on international student's course and the duration of the academic program completed.
  • You must have graduated from an eligible Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that the applicant has met the requirements to complete their program of study
  • You must apply within 180 days following the availability of the confirmation of end of studies and final transcript.
  • Note that international students can only receive one Post-Graduation Work Permit from IRCC. It is issued only once in a lifetime, therefore, if you have plans to pursue further studies in Canada, you need to consult an international student advisor.

    Do you need a Job Offer to get a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

    Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is an open work permit, meaning that it is not connected to a specific employer. It allows foreign nationals the freedom to work for different employers in different locations. Unlike the other Canadian work permits, the PGWP does not require a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for applicants.

    Therefore, you can request a PGWP without job offer at the time of applying.
    Are you planning to study and live permanently in Canada ? Contact us and we will discuss your pathway from international student to permanent resident !

    To know more details - Contact us.

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.