Temporary Resident Visa


A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) also known as a visitor visa, is an official document placed in a person's passport to show to Canadian authorities that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a visitor.

Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents have the right to enter Canada freely. However, other visitors to Canada or citizens of certain countries need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa before they can enter Canada.

The Purpose of Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A Temporary Resident Visa holder may legally enter the country for a short period of time or with a fixed length of stay, for the purpose of traveling, visiting family and friends, or attending business meetings

If a visitor wants to study or work in Canada, the person will need to apply for that through a separate application. It is not allowed to work or study for a long-term program, but some temporary residents can take programs of study up to six months in length, but conditions vary. It is also not allowed to apply for citizenship of Canada, apply to get Canadian government documents or try to claim for Canadian benefits such as health coverage. Temporary residents must prove that they plan to return to their home country and not stay in Canada.

Types of Canadian Temporary Resident Visas (TRV)

There are three types of Temporary Resident Visa: a single entry visa, a multiple entry visa, and a transit visa. All are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

Single Entry Visa

It allows visitors to come to Canada only one time. Once they have left Canada, excluding the visa-exempt countries, they will need a new visa to travel back to and enter Canada.

Multiple Entry Visa

It allows visitors to come and go from Canada without having to reapply each time. It can be valid for up to 10 years, or a month before the passport expires.

Transit Visa

It allows entry to Canada for foreign nationals who are travelling and who stop in Canada for less than forty-eight (48) hours, but who’s country of origin is one that requires a visa.

Are you eligible for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

To qualify for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), you must provide the following:

  • Proof that you will leave Canada at the end of the approved stay
  • Proof you have the financial means to maintain your family or self, and return home
  • Proof that you will not work or study without authorization
  • Proof of no criminal record
  • Proof that you do not pose a security or safety risk to the Canadian public
  • All of the required documentation
  • Proof that you are in good health and not a risk to the health of the Canadian public
  • Take note that not everyone requires a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. Some people may be allowed to enter with an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or they are Citizens from visa-exempt countries.

    Do you want to visit or extend your stay in Canada ? We at Ingress Immigration will sit down with you and draft a plan to achieve your goal.

    To know more details - Contact us.

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.